Monday, February 16, 2009

Learning Something New...


At the beginning of the month I started my short silk screening class at the local community college... I knew it was something that I always wanted to learn but never would've guessed what a natural evolution working with this medium was.

So far the first two weeks of class has involved learning to block print. Put simply, carving your designs onto linoleum and then using them as stamps. I've used this process in the past but never knew the proper techniques.



I've always found dealing with negative space somewhat difficult and the inconsistent print patterns terrifying... But the result is so satisfying!



I decided to try out my blocks on a simple birthday card for my mother... Here's a peak!



I have two more weeks of class and those weeks involve silk screening... So stay tuned :)

Tandie

4 comments:

ellen c. said...

dude, that looks great! how exciting for you - i can't wait to see what else you come up with!

Chakra Pennywhistle said...

I love it!

I was waiting for this post! Can't wait to see what is next :)

I also want to see which one you prefer at the end of class, block or screen?

the rikrak studio said...

oh gosh! these are fabulous! you're fabulous! i love it!

Dennice {Fringe} said...

how wonderful to keep learning new skills! bravo and well done! i'm sure your new knowledge will lead to more success. i hope you'll keep us posted on your progress.

the birthday card is bright and beautiful and i'm sure your mom will treasure it.

xo